Skip to main content

Search

Search

Indoor Allergies

Dust

Indoor allergies such as dust and mould are common. Read below to find out more about what causes these allergies and how you can help manage them.

Dust and dust mite allergy

dust-mite

We can’t see them, but dust mites live amongst us. They are microscopic spider-like insects that are found all over the house, clinging to fabric, upholstery, bed linens, pillows and mattresses. The most common cause of indoor allergies is dust mites.

These insects, invisible to the human eye, live strictly indoors. They feast on the millions of dead skin cells that we shed from our bodies every single day. House dust is made up of many particles – fabric fibers, bacteria and dust mites.

As with all triggers, recognising them as the cause of your symptoms will help you to customise your management strategies.

Mould allergy

mould-around-window

Although we usually associate hay fever allergy symptoms with plants and pollen, spores released by mould can often be a hidden enemy and can cause similar symptoms to hay fever. Mould is a common allergen found naturally outdoors, but it can also seep into your home in areas that are damp. The growth of mould tends to peak in late summer and run right until the autumn, depending on the dampness of the location.

The tiny, airborne spores of mould that cause allergic reactions may be found either indoors or outdoors and will grow in either setting if the breeding conditions are right: damp and dark is what they like. Recognising an indoor mould allergy is the first step to managing it. By eliminating the source of the mould you may solve the problem altogether.

To find out more on how to help manage your allergies click here.Or for more detailed tips on how to manage indoor allergies click here.